General Division Claims

The General Division is for Plaintiffs (persons or businesses requesting relief) who have a claim for money damages over $6000, up to $15,000. General Division cases include: personal injury, property damage, contracts, notes, accounts, and other civil matters.

If your claim is greater than $15,000, you need to file in the Court of Common Pleas. For more information on filing a claim in the Court of Common Pleas, visit the Franklin County Clerk of Court’s webpage.

If you are an individual or partnership, you may represent yourself in court. Because some General Division cases are complex, some people choose to retain an attorney to represent them. Corporations, Limited Liability Companies, and other business entities may represent themselves in court, but cannot present evidence, cross examine witnesses, or do other things attorneys typically do.  If you would like to seek advice from an attorney, you can contact one with the following resources:

The Columbus Bar Association’s Lawyer Referral Service:
614-221-0754 or toll-free at 877-560-1014
Columbus Find A Lawyer

If you choose to represent yourself in court and have questions about the process, please visit the Self Help Resource Center:

375 S. High Street, 6th Floor
Columbus, OH 43215
Monday – Friday, 9:00 AM – 3:00 PM

If you are representing yourself, but need limited legal advice, Legal Aid Society of Columbus may be able to help. People who financially qualify can get brief advice on legal matters. Check the Columbus Legal Aid website for up-to-date clinic information.

Other useful information for self-represented parties:

A Guide to Legal Research

Glossary of Legal Terms

Representing Yourself in Court, A Citizen’s Guide

Courtroom Do’s and Dont’s